Site Search
Dillon Hall

Working in Canada for Non-Permanent Residents

The Office of Faculty Recruitment and Retention (OFRR) can assist you with your immigration matters.  If you do not have any family members in Canada, you will apply as a Federal Skilled Worker and Professional.

What are Skilled Workers and Professionals?

Federal Skilled Workers are selected as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other criteria that have been shown to help them become economically established in Canada.

Federal skilled worker applications received on or after February 27, 2008 are now assessed for eligibility according to a set of criteria issued by the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism.

You can find guides, information and the required forms needed to apply as a federal skilled worker on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website

The rules for applying as a federal skilled worker change from time to time, so make sure you visit the CIC website regularly if you are considering emigrating to Canada as a federal skilled worker.

Before you apply, make sure you refer to the updated selection criteria under Who can apply , and become familiar with the current application procedures.


If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada and  have been offered a position at the University of Windsor, you will need a work permit.  The work permit may be issued for three to five years and will be a TEMPORARY work permit.  It is recommended that you begin the permanent residency application process as soon as possible as we may not be able to obtain a renewal of your Labour Market Opinion.  This only applies to non-US/Mexican residents because a Labour Market Opinion is usually not required under the North-American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).  Please contact Gerri Pacecca, Coordinator, Office of Faculty Recruitment and Retention (call toll free in North America at 1-877-665-6608 or call collect at  001-519-561-1432.)

For more information on Work Permits refer to the Application to work in Canada: Work permits.

For more information on Permanent Residency refer to the Application for permanent residence: Federal skilled worker class (IMM 7000).

If you are a temporary foreign worker, you may apply for your Permanent Residency under the Canadian Experience Class.  You will need 24 months experience in Canada (within the last 36 months) to be eligible.  

Refer to the list of countries and territories whose citizens need a visa as you may require a temporary resident visa in addition to the work permit.

Submit your work permit application to a visa office at a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate abroad.

Many visa offices have specific local instructions about which documents you must submit with your application. You need to find out what they are, and make sure you include all the correct documents. Consult the list of Canadian visa offices abroad to find the office responsible for your country. The page for your visa office includes a link to their website. Go to the website and find out what requirements and procedures you must follow when you apply, or contact Gerri Pacecca for assistance.

Your visa application may require a photograph.  Please refer to the photograph specifications.

This work permit application includes the following:

There is a processing fee for applying for a work permit.  The cost of the work permit application is $150 Canadian.  You may have other fees, if you apply for a spousal work permit.  To calculate your fees, visit the website at:  Calculate Your Total Application Fees.  Check the website of the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live for more information on fees, including how to pay them.  Note:  Your fee will not be refunded, even if your application is not accepted. 

Submit the application form

Once you are sure your application form is complete, sign and date it, and check that you have included all the required documents and fees. Make sure you have the right receipt for the fees.

Remember, your application will be returned to you if it is not properly completed or if documents are missing.

Your application will be reviewed in three steps:

1. According to the eligibility criteria, your application is eligible for processing if:

  • you have an offer of arranged employment, OR
  • you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR
  • you are a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of the occupations listed here.

2. If your application is eligible for processing, you must also meet the following minimum requirements to qualify as a skilled worker:

  • you have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment, AND
  • your work experience must be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification list, AND
  • you must have had this experience within the last 10 years.

3. If you meet these minimum requirements, your application will then be processed according to the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid. The six selection factors are:

  • your education
  • your abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages
  • your work experience
  • your age
  • whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and
  • your adaptability.

You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada.

If you are not sure if you should apply as a skilled worker, you can:

  • use the eligibility tool to get an idea of whether your application would be eligible for processing, then
  • try a self-assessment test to see if you might earn enough points to qualify.

There are many ways to immigrate to Canada. If you don’t meet the criteria to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you may qualify under another category. Learn more about your options.

Learn about: